Friday, April 8, 2011

Friday Flashback!


My First Quilt!

Two years ago, when my husband bought me a new sewing machine for Christmas, I had no idea that I would take up quilting.  I already had two old machines; both with issues.  First, there was a Singer that my Mom had bought in the early sixties.  It wouldn't come out of reverse.  I learned to sew backwards.  Second, was another hand-me-down from Mom, a circa 1970's  Husqvarna with major tension problems.  Yep, at that point I just wanted one machine that worked. 

 R bought me a machine, a not very expensive Brother (that did come with a bunch of cool feet-including a walking foot) and I did some mending. Then in March came a weekly email from the Purl Bee that totally caught my eye.  They called it the "Sunny Tied Quilt" and that's just what it was; bright strips of fabric, sandwiched and tied.  I loved it.  I knew that it would look good in D's room AND it was easy!  I didn't venture much from their pattern or palette so mine looks much like the version you can still find on their site.

After completing Sunny I began searching for quilting blogs.  As a knitter who had read a zillion knitting blogs I knew that the quilting community had to be blogging as well.  It didn't take me long to start stacking up some favorites.  The more blogs I read, the more quilts I wanted to make.  Before I knew it I had accumulated a stash and had a dozen quilts under my belt.

I will always have a soft spot for the Sunny Tied Quilt because of where it lead me.  Thanks to Purl Soho and all of the quilters whose blogs have inspired and taught me so much.





No comments:

Post a Comment